NEED TO KNOW
- A New Hampshire mother who killed her husband, two of her children and then herself was accused by her employer of embezzlement, according to a new report
- Emily Long was found dead alongside her husband Ryan Long and their two children, son Parker and daughter Ryan, on Aug. 18 at the family’s home in Madbury, N.H.
- Long’s former employer said he went to police recently after discovering she allegedly stole about $660,000 from the company over the last two years
The New Hampshire mother who killed her husband, two children, and then herself allegedly stole $660,000 from her employer before the murder-suicide at the family’s home in Madbury, N.H., earlier this month, the company’s owner says.
Emily Long, 34, was found dead from a gunshot wound inside the family’s home on Aug. 18 alongside her husband Ryan Long, 48, as well as their son Parker, 8, and daughter Ryan, 6, who were also shot and killed.
The mother spoke on TikTok to speak about her experience with depression before carrying out the murder-suicide. The couple’s toddler was also found at the home unharmed.
Emily’s husband had recently been diagnosed with brain cancer, and on TikTok, the mother posted about her experience with depression on an account that had the bio referring to herself as a “Brain Cancer Wife.”
But a report this week has shed new light on the family’s recent struggles, as local WCVB reported the mother was accused of embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars from her employer over the past two years.
“I felt I had no other option than to go to law enforcement,” Derek Fisher, the owner of the local Wing-Itz chicken wing chain where Emily had worked, told the outlet. “We noticed there were a lot of handwritten checks being deposited into her bank account.”
Fisher told WCVB that he turned to police after an accountant made the discovery about the alleged embezzlement, which the restaurant chain owner claims began in January 2023 and lasted until the scheme was uncovered last month. “There was over $660,000 taken,” Fisher claimed, noting that he was aware of Emily’s husband’s recent brain cancer diagnosis.
“Given her circumstances with her husband, I was trying to be considerate and patient,” Fisher told WCVB.
The restaurant chain owner told the outlet that he is no longer worried about recovering the money after the news Emily killed her family and herself.
“Anything that’s left should go to that child,” Fisher told the outlet. “He deserves all of it. It’s not fair to him. He didn’t make this happen, and he didn’t deserve this.”
Despite the recent revelations, New Hampshire authorities have told the public not to speculate as to what motivated the murder-suicide since it took place earlier this month.
“While investigators are becoming aware of various concerns/issues ongoing in the household at the time of the event in question, people should avoid speculating that this event was caused by a single reason or stressor,” the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office said last week.
Read the full article here