- Prince Harry responded to the U.K.’s Charity Commission confirming they had opened a “regulatory compliance case” into Sentebale, a charity the Duke of Sussex cofounded
- The Duke of Sussex said he hopes the “robust inquiry” will “unveil the truth that collectively forced us to resign”
- Sentebale’s founders and board of trustees announced their resignation amid a fallout with the chairwoman, Dr. Sophie Chandauka
Prince Harry is welcoming an investigation into the bitter infighting that has rocked his beloved African charity.
The Duke of Sussex, 40, issued a new statement on April 3, shortly after the watchdog of U.K. non-profit sector announced it had started an investigation.
Sentebale, which Harry founded alongside his friend Prince Seeiso of Lesotho to help young people in southern Africa, is under investigation after the board of trustees resigned in protest of chairperson Dr. Sophie Chandauka. Harry and Seeiso followed those resignations by leaving their roles as patrons of the charity, which they set up in memory of their late mothers in 2006.
The Charity Commission said in an April 3 statement that it had opened “a regulatory compliance case” after being in direct contact with parties who have raised concerns. The commission will “gather evidence and assess the compliance of the charity and trustees past and present with their legal duties.”
In response, Harry said, “From the inception of Sentebale nearly 20 years ago, Prince Seeiso and I have had a clear goal: to support the children and young people in Southern Africa in memory of our mothers. What has transpired over the last week has been heartbreaking to witness, especially when such blatant lies hurt those who have invested decades in this shared goal. No one suffers more than the beneficiaries of Sentebale itself.”
“On behalf of the former trustees and patrons, we share in the relief that the Charity Commission confirmed they will be conducting a robust inquiry. We fully expect it will unveil the truth that collectively forced us to resign. We remain hopeful this will allow for the charity to be put in the right hands immediately, for the sake of the communities we serve.”
For her part, Dr. Chandauka confirmed she first raised issues in February 2025 following an internal governance investigation that her team had initiated last year, “the findings of which we will share with the Charity Commission.”
“We hope that, together, these actions will give the general public, our colleagues, partners, supporters, donors and the communities we serve comfort that Sentebale and its new Board of Trustees are acting appropriately to demonstrate and ensure good governance and a healthy culture for Sentebale to thrive.”
Also welcoming the new inquiry, she continued, “In the meantime, our exceptional Executive team and operational staff remain focused on the day-to-day operations of the charity, ensuring continuity in our work and mission delivery.”
“We appreciate the patience, understanding and tremendous support we have received from our existing and prospective partners and supporters, and look forward to continuing to work together with you as we recalibrate for an ambitious future,” she added.
Can’t get enough of PEOPLE’s Royals coverage? Sign up for our free Royals newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
The bitterness first became evident on March 26, when Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso, 58, announced the “devastating” decision to step down from their roles. It then emerged that when the board of trustees had asked Chandauka to resign, she brought a lawsuit against the charity. The Charity Commission then acknowledged they had started looking into the matter.
A Sentebale source familiar with the situation previously told PEOPLE that Chandauka has placed significant financial strain on Sentebale. According to the source, when Chandauka was appointed in July 2023, the organization was in stable financial standing — but that changed under her leadership.
A key turning point reportedly came when tensions arose between Chandauka and a major funder of the Sentebale Polo Cup, a key fundraising event. As a result of this breakdown, the 2024 match did not take place. Separately, the chairwoman hired external consultants — at a cost of over $600,000 — to introduce new strategies and build relationships with potential donors, allegedly without securing board approval. However, those efforts reportedly failed to secure the anticipated funding.
In the wake of the disagreements between Dr. Sophie Chandauka and the trustees one of those who resigned, Dr. Kelello Lerotholi, a cousin of Seeiso, told the U.K. newspaper The Times, which broke the original story, that he was “worried about the emotional well-being of both princes.”
He told the paper on March 27, “I think given their commitment to the welfare of kids, they are torn apart at the thought of looking like they’re abandoning them when they know that they’re not abandoning them.”
Read the full article here