News

Man Dies After Shark Attack on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef During Group Spearfishing Trip: ‘Terrifying Thing to See’

“We assume they will be pretty traumatized,” Queensland Police’s Inspector Elaine Burns said of the other men who witnessed the attack

A ‘Shark Sighted’ sign in Australia (stock image)
Credit: George Chan/Getty

NEED TO KNOW

  • A 39-year-old man has died after a shark attacked him during a spearfishing trip with three other men in Australia on May 24
  • “We believe the man had been spearfishing when he was attacked,” said Elaine Burns of the Queensland Police Service
  • Another man died in a shark attack in Australia on May 16

A man has died after being attacked by a shark during a spearfishing trip.

The shark attacked the unidentified victim, 39, at Kennedy Shoal on the Great Barrier Reef off North Queensland in Australia on Sunday, May 24, according to the Queensland Police Service (QPS). 

“We believe the man had been spearfishing when he was attacked,” QPS Inspector Elaine Burns said during a conference, adding that three other men were with him far away from shore. “He was retrieved from the water by another person who was with him in the water.”

Officials were notified of the incident around 11:50 a.m. local time. An hour later, the men’s vessel arrived at the Hull Head boat ramp, where the victim — who had sustained a critical head injury — was declared dead.

Great Barrier Reef in Australia.
Credit: Getty

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer​​, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

“We assume they will be pretty traumatized. That’s quite a terrifying thing to see happen right in front of you,” Burns added. “And we’ll continue provide whatever support with can to the family and those men who were on board with him.”

The boat’s exact whereabouts at the time of the attack is unknown, as well as the type of shark involved. 

There were no other reported injuries. The investigation is ongoing. 

“This is a tragic incident for everyone involved,” the police inspector said.

Another man died during a shark attack in Australia on May 16. 

Steven Mattabon was fatally attacked by a shark while in the water at Horseshoe Reef, near Rottnest Island, the St. John WA Ambulance said in a statement to PEOPLE at the time. 

Mattaboni, 38, was believed to have been attacked by a 13-foot great white shark.

Read the full article here

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

News

Lambert earned eight nominations this year Miranda Lambert at the 2026 ACM Awards in Las VegasCredit: Ethan Miller/Getty; Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock NEED TO KNOW Miranda...

News

Jalen said "I do" to Joiya in a courthouse wedding ceremony on May 15 Jalen and Joiya Brown; Jalen BrownCredit: Jalen Brown/Instagram; Ben Symons/Peacock...

News

"There's a man that was up for this award that I personally watched devote his life to country music," Johnson said in his acceptance...

News

The couple wed on May 18, 2024, and they share 1-year-old son Elliot Evan McClintock and Hailie JadeCredit: Hailie Jade/Instagram NEED TO KNOW Hailie...

2024 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Exit mobile version